Monday, January 8, 2024

Leaving the Farm

Picture of a sunrise

Photo by Dr. Haus

Farm Life

It has been an eventful start to 2024 here on the farm!  Two of the volunteers left early last week to continue on to new locations.  One headed to Morocco while the other headed to the Canary Islands.  I hope to hear from them and get an update on their adventures!

🌴

It has been nice having two of us on the farm.  The other two folks who left early were 20 and 23 and most of the time us older ladies felt like we were the mothers.  It has been great working on projects on the farm like making stairs, harvesting the fruits (avocados, kiwi, and mandarins), drying green peppers, and tending to the garden.

Picture of the first stair
Photo by Dr. Haus
 
Picture of second stair
Photo by Dr. Haus
 
Picture of both stairs
Photo by Dr. Haus
 
I can also proudly say that on January 1st, 2024 I successfully started my first solo fire.  There are some challenges to starting fires in the house here but since the New Year I have been able to start them on my own just fine.

First Fire
Photo by Dr. Haus
 
I also lost another 5-years off my life a few days ago.  It was 1:30am and L burst into my room and I nearly had a heart attack from the shock of it.  Ends up the wild boars were in the yard and one was screaming because it got stuck in a fence.  We could hear it struggling but it is pitch black in the yard.  The other wild boars ran away when we came out and we eventually we went back to bed as we couldn't help the stuck boar.
 
🐗
 
The next morning we saw that the wild boar did get out of the fence it was trapped in and continued on with their evening.  We have been finding and putting up blocks for the holes that the boars get in through and below is our fortification from how they got in on that fateful night...

Picture of the pig barrier
Photo by Dr. Haus

Marbella

I had one last day trip to a town called Marbella.  It was a more affluent town with a LOT of Scandinavian tourists.  We had lunch at a restaurant where I finally got to eat some paella!  It was great and the tables in the restaurant had bikes are their base.  The biking community is large in this area and I LOVE it.

 

Table held up by a bike
Photo by Dr. Haus
 

We also did a quick grocery store trip where I learned that Milka makes more than chocolate bars.  Milka is one of my brother's favorite chocolate that we used to only be able to get at a specific German market in Chicago.  They are now more common in America but I learned in Spain they have lots of different Milka products and while I was tempted to get the spread below I decided against it.

 

Picture of Milka Spread
Photo by Dr. Haus


Last Day

It is hard to believe but tomorrow morning I am heading out to Granada and will be leaving the farm.  I had a great time here and got to meet some amazing people.  I cannot wait to continue on my adventure and start touring more cities in Spain and Portugal.  Some of my last pictures from today on the farm:

 

Views of the mountains
Photo by Dr. Haus
 
 
Views from the farm
Photo by Dr. Haus
 
 
Picture of the neighbors
Photo by Dr. Haus
 
 
Waterfall
Photo by Dr. Haus
 
 
 
 
Dr. Haus's Unsolicited Life Advice:  Don’t burst into someone’s room at 1:30am

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liver Anatomy

  Photo by Dr. Haus Liver Anatomy The anatomy of the liver must be understood to truly understand the functioning of this vital organ.  Of c...